Saturday, March 31, 2018

Low Fat Cornbread




  • I needed to make some cornbread to go with our gumbo, but I also wanted to try cutting the fat in the recipe. I've used liquid egg substitute before, and also have tried replacing oil with unsweetened applesauce. This time I had a pouch of baby food carrot/apple puree, so I tried that. I also used skim milk. The results were great. My husband actually liked it better than the usual; he said it was much less crumbly than usual cornbread.  Here is my adjusted recipe from the Quaker Corn Bread box. 


  • Low Fat Cornbread

  • 1 cup Quaker Yellow Corn Meal
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup skim milk
  • 1/4 cup liquid egg substitute
  • 1 pouch baby food puree, applesauce or carrot/applesauce blend, or 1/2 cup regular applesauce.

  •  
Preheat oven to 425° F. Spray 8-inch square pan or pie pan with non-stick cooking spray. In large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk, egg substitute and baby food puree. Beat until fairly smooth, about 1 minute. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 23 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve hot with butter and/or honey. Of course, if you use butter, you eliminate the fat-free part, but it's still lower in fat than usual.   

No comments:

Post a Comment